When I need particles for one of my games, I searched a bit, and found excellent Particle Designer 2 for mac. Although this app is a little expensive (€36.99) and sometimes crashes, it allows you to create particle systems in an easy way.
Then I started looking for particle emitter, compatible with OpenFL, but all I found – it is old and abandoned projects.
I decide to create my own library.
- Can load .plist files from Particle Designer or Particle Designer 2.
- Has drawTiles renderer along with GL renderer.
NOTE: work in progress, more features coming.
Embedded textures is not supported, so you must uncheck “embed” before export.
GL renderer is the best choise for html5 (with -Ddom) – it support many features and super fast. It use “hacked” version of OpenGLView to be able to add canvas with proper z-index. html5-dom demo
However GL renderer is available only for html with -Ddom.
For all other targets use drawTiles renderer:
- html5 in canvas mode – still pretty fast, doesn’t support color effects. Can render incorrectly due to bug in openfl, please apply this patch if you encounter it. html5-canvas demo.
- native – fast, support color effects, hovewer in some cases GL renderer looks better.
- flash – slow, can be buggy (due to drawTiles implementation in openfl). flash demo.
How to use
Open terminal, than:
haxelib git zame-particles https://github.com/restorer/zame-haxe-particles.git haxelib git zame-miscutils https://github.com/restorer/zame-haxe-miscutils.git
Roadmap for future
- Support lime directly, without openfl
- Support for snow
- Create component for luxe engine